It is common for people to occasionally experience feelings of sadness or sorrow. But depression is much more than just having the blues. It can have a devastating impact on a person’s physical and mental well-being.
Depression is a serious mental health condition that is characterized by a loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities, prolonged unhappiness, chronic fatigue, and a number of other symptoms. This condition can cause severe distress and make it difficult for a person to live a happy and fulfilling life.
Signature Psychiatric Hospital, located in North Kansas City, Missouri, provides customized inpatient and outpatient treatment for adolescents and adults who are living with depression. Getting focused care from a team of dedicated professionals may allow you to work toward long-term healing and a brighter future.
Signs & Symptoms of Depression
Depression symptoms may vary from person to person depending on individual factors such as medical history and personality traits.
Common symptoms of depression can include:
- Constant feelings of emptiness, sadness, or hopelessness
- Difficulty performing optimally in school, at work, or at home
- Loss of interest in activities that were previously enjoyed
- Changes in appetite and significant weight gain or loss
- Getting too much or too little sleep
- Extreme fatigue or lack of energy
- Trouble concentrating
- Social isolation and feelings of loneliness
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
People’s experiences with depression can vary based on the type of depressive disorder they are struggling with. If you are exhibiting any of these signs or symptoms, it is important that you seek the support of a trusted professional right away.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) have provided the following statistics from 2020 related to depression among those living in the United States:
- In 2020, 21% of adults (or 52.9 million people) had a mental illness. Furthermore, 5.6% of adults (or 14.2 million people) suffered from a chronic mental illness that same year.
- About 14.8 million adults age 18 and older had at least one major depressive disorder episode that caused severe impairment.
- Approximately 4.1 million adolescents ages 12-17 had at least one major depressive disorder episode. Among this population, 60% did not receive treatment.
Potential Effects of Depression
Similar to the signs and symptoms of depression, the effects of this condition may vary from person to person. The physical, social, and emotional effects of depression may include:
- Low self-esteem
- Decline in school or work performance
- Development or onset of other mental health disorders, such as a substance use disorder
- Poor personal hygiene and lack of self-care
- Financial troubles
- Self-destructive behaviors
- Damaged or strained relationships with family and friends
Like with any other mental health concern, the effects of depression can be overwhelming. By receiving comprehensive treatment and support from the professionals at our treatment place, you can get the help you need and set a foundation for healing that lasts.
Choosing the Right Depression Treatment Center
Depression can cause serious long-term damage if you don’t seek treatment. It is important to find the treatment center that is most appropriate for you and addresses your unique needs.
Signature Psychiatric Hospital offers inpatient treatment for adults and adolescents who have been struggling with depression. At our treatment place, you can receive round-the-clock care from our compassionate staff members. You can also participate in programming with others who are facing similar challenges, allowing you to foster a sense of safety and camaraderie during your stay with us.
Prior to admission, you’ll undergo an extensive assessment that will outline your medical history and current symptoms. The results of this assessment will help us develop a personalized care plan for you that is tailored to your strengths and goals for treatment.
We want to set you up for continued success after you complete treatment at our facility. We will provide you with a detailed aftercare plan that reflects the progress you’ve made. This discharge plan may include references to support groups, information about follow-up services, and community resources.
Therapies Used in Depression Treatment
Depression is difficult to live with, but the good news is that this condition is treatable. At Signature Psychiatric Hospital, we will take into consideration the ways depression has affected you personally.
Based on the information we gather during the initial assessment process, your personalized treatment plan may include evidence-based services and therapies such as:
- Detoxification services if you have depression and a co-occurring addiction
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Basic medical care
- Medication management services
If depression is limiting your ability to live a full, satisfying life, don’t be discouraged. With support from the experts at Signature Psychiatric Hospital, you can learn how to rebuild areas of your life that have been impacted by depression.
This content was written on behalf of and reviewed by the clinical staff at Signature Psychiatric Hospital.